Thursday, November 1, 2012

On the Calling of a Cynic


I came across this passage in Epictetus that reminded me of wise man's way of life. The Cynics were philosophers who were like monks. They were early Beats. They sought happiness through freedom from desires; freedom from passions of fear, grief, anger. Freedom from religious or public authority  or public opinion  They wanted to live free, following the way of Nature:


“And how is it possible that a man who has nothing, who is naked, homeless, without a hearth, squalid, without a servant, without a city, can pass a life that flows easily? See, God has sent you  a man to show you that it is possible. 

"Look at me, who am without a city, without a home, without possessions, without a servant; I sleep on the ground; I have no wife, no children, no profession, but only the earth and heavens, and one rag-robe. And what do I lack? Am I not without sorrow? Am I not free from fear? Am I not free

"When did any of you see me failing in the object of my desire? Or ever falling into that which I would avoid? Did I ever blame God or man? Did I ever accuse any man? Did any of you ever see me with sorrowful countenance? And how do I meet with those whom you are afraid of and admire? Do not I treat them like equals? Who, when he sees me, does to think that he sees a king and master?”

Epictetus, On the Calling of a Cynic, Discourse 3.22

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the poems. Yes, I like that website.

    ReplyDelete